Jaffna Fort, situated on the south of the Jaffna peninsula
at the water’s edge of the lagoon is the second largest
existing historic Fort in the country.
was originally built by the Portuguese in 1619 and later
during the second half of the 17th and the 18th centuries
Dutch who invaded the island after Portuguese re-built
and expanded to facilitate their commerce.
was fortified thick and high ramparts and a wide and deep
moat around it. The layout resembles a geometrically regular
pentagon, which is defined by the ramparts with a bastion
at each corner of the pentagon. Beyond these defense works
is the star-shaped moat, the outline of which roughly
follows the bastion and rampart walls.
the Dutch forts at Galle and Colombo, which were fortified
towns, the Jaffna Fort had an almost exclusively military
and administrative function. The fort is the only surviving
example in Sri Lanka, where its inner defenses has a geometrically
regular pentagonal layout.